For many owning a gun is a right of passage, a must, but not for everybody. There are still a lot of people who have never even held a gun, let alone owned one. Perhaps you know someone like this, and perhaps they want to change that. Perhaps they have sparked an interest in guns and shooting and they want to safely transition from novice to pro. This article is to help navigate beginners to feeling safe and competent in taking the next steps. Here are some most know tips for helping to introduce beginners to guns.
Firstly there are a few basic safety rules that everybody, regardless of their experience should follow and it is imperative all gun users and owners are aware of them.
- Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction and never at something you don’t want to be destroyed. It’s an obvious one but one that needs stating nonetheless.
- Keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Keep your finger alongside the gun and only touch the trigger when you are about to fire.
- Always keep your gun unloaded until you are about to shoot. That said even if it is unloaded always treat it at though it is loaded regardless of the fact you may know better.
- Always know what is behind your target. Bullets are powerful and can penetrate many things so for the avoidance of doubt be sure you know what is behind your target.
- Always use the correct ammunition for your gun.
Before committing to buying a gun it is a good idea to handle a gun and get a feel for what feels comfortable with. For those new to shooting it is recommended that they go to a local driving range where they can learn about a variety of guns and undertake a number of training courses. It is always recommended that new gun users undertake a basic firearms training course and learn the basics such as firing, loading, and cleaning their guns. Classes offered at a shooting range can vary from beginner to advanced and many ranges offer up memberships for regular practice. At some ranges, you will be able to undertake a state-recognized permit enabling you to carry your gun, therange702.com in Nevada is one such range you can obtain this permit from.
When it comes to buying a gun this can be done online or in-store but if it is the first gun it is recommended the gun is purchased in person. Stores that sell guns will be only too happy to walk and talk new owners through the different types of guns available and discuss their needs and preferences. They will then be happy to make an expert recommendation on the type of gun and ammunition that is best suited. Remember when buying a gun the law varies from state to state so ensure you check out the requirements of your state. That said there are some basic guidelines to be mindful of;
- You must be over 21.
- You must not have been convicted of a felony.
- You must not be declared mentally incompetent
- You must not be using medication or drugs that impair your ability.
It is likely you will have to undergo a criminal record check that is run through a federal database and further some states will require you to register the gun. Failure to do so will result in a criminal offense.